08 December 2011

The ugly truth

Perhaps some of you soda drinkers will give up  diet soda after reading this! 










Sucralose is turning up EVERYWHERE in many of consumers food/drink products. 


The most misunderstood fact about sucralose is that it is nothing like sugar even though the marketing implies that it is. Sucralose was actually discovered while trying to create a new insecticide. It may have started out as sugar, but the final product is anything but sugar. According to the book Sweet Deception, sucralose is made when sugar is treated with trityl chloride, acetic anhydride, hydrogen chlorine, thionyl chloride, and methanol in the presence of dimethylformamide, 4-methylmorpholine, toluene, methyl isobutyl ketone, acetic acid, benzyltriethlyammonium chloride, and sodium methoxide, making it unlike anything found in nature. If you read the fine print on the Splenda web site, it states that "although sucralose has a structure like sugar and a sugar-like taste, it is not natural."


"The presence of chlorine is thought to be the most dangerous component of sucralose. Chlorine is considered a carcinogen and has been used in poisonous gas, disinfectants, pesticides, and plastics. The digestion and absorption of sucralose is not clear due to a lack of long-term studies on humans. The majority of studies were done on animals for short lengths of time. The alleged symptoms associated with sucralose are gastrointestinal problems (bloating, gas, diarrhea, nausea), skin irritations (rashhives, redness, itching, swelling), wheezing, cough, runny nose, chest pains,palpitationsanxiety, anger, moods swings, depression, and itchy eyes. The only way to be sure of the safety of sucralose is to have long-term studies on humans done.
Splenda is a product that contains the artificial sweetener sucralose, but that is not all that it contains. Sucralose does have calories, but because it is 600 times sweeter than sugar, very small amounts are needed to achieve the desired sweetness so you most likely won't consume enough to get any calories. The other two ingredients in Splenda are dextrose and maltodextrin, which are used to increase bulk and are carbohydrates that do have calories. One cup of Splenda contains 96 calories and 32 grams of carbohydrates, which is often unnoticed due to the label claiming that it's a no calorie sweetener. Because this is found in so many products and can be used in cooking, it can be possible to consume 1 cup or more each day. For people with diabetes, this is a significant amount of carbohydrates, and for people who are watching their weight, this can be a problem. Consuming an additional 100 calories a day can result in a weight gain of 10 lbs. per year!"

Aspartame you can read about HERE

Some of you might be like "okay C Mae I get it--- lay off the sweeteners!" or Some might be saying, "why do you care so much?" 

As I mentioned in yesterday's post, I just think there are a lot of naive women/men youth of people out there and they just don't know, or live in the bubble of "nothing bad will happen to me" mode. 

If you are one of these people, I can honestly say I cannot feel bad for you if one day down the road you get cancer from this crap. The point is, the TOOLS and information on what causes cancer are out there & are AVAILABLE (and all over the net) so if you chose to ignore them, then it's your own fault! Then you have no one to blame but yourself. Take the proper precautions now, and odds are you'll live a long happy cancer free life! I realize there are tons of things out there that cause cancer that we aren't aware of that we can breathe in, but being a smart person is doing our part on the things we do know are bad for you.

Your choice. Take it or leave it. 






Photobucket

14 comments:

  1. WOW! I knew most of this stuff b/c I went on an anti-sweetener tirade last year with myself, but I had no idea it was created trying to create insecticide! Holy goodness! Scary stuff!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I work for Coca Cola, specifically Coke Zero therefore I have zero comments :) Informative post!

    ReplyDelete
  3. My Mom taught Nursing and right after the speech about not smoking comes the speech about not drinking diet soda. I had no idea it was discovered while trying to make an insecticide!

    ReplyDelete
  4. i don't use artifical sweeteners or drink diet soda. my aunt told me years ago how bad aspartame was and it stuck with me. when i see people who are addicted to things, one of the most insane addictions i see is to diet coke. you don't see peopel being that addicted to regular pop or juice. the diet soda addiction blows my mind. my sister brings her own diet coke with her in case she can't find a can of it where she is. brutal.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I used to be addicted to sweetener. I used to put two bags of splenda in my tea everyday and I drank 4-6 cups of tea a day. I had massive stomach issues and even had to go for a colonoscopy last february.

    As soon as I cut these sugars out of my diet, my symptoms virtually disappeared. I thought I had severe IBS since I was a teen, but the truth is, although I do have IBS, the fake sugars were making it 1000 times worse.

    I have been off them since last Feb (after the colonoscopy) and my stomach has never felt better. It is amazing what a remarkable difference I feel.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks for the tip--but I still love my Diet Pepsi and Sweet and Low!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow! I had no idea! Why does all food (except natural) seem to have so many chemicals in it? Grape and Apple juice have chemicals in it (I just heard that the other day...I know, I'm way behind) and when I heard that it completely shocked me! You can never be too safe! Thanks for the info!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. i gave up soda november 1st, and honestly feel better in just a month...it was crazy how much i was drinking on a regular basis!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thank goodness I hate Diet soda. Now if I could only cut down on the amount of regular soda....

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thanks for sharing. I haven't TOUCHED any kind of soda in years...

    and I try to avoid artificial sweeteners. As for the real stuff, I can't quite kick it....but I'm workin' on it.

    You're right...people don't realize the kind of poison they're putting in their bodies. They think they're doing what's right by choosing "diet" foods and drinks. Wrong again.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I just gave up soda about a month ago and this makes me feel better about it! If you don't drink soda, besides water, what else do you drink?

    ReplyDelete
  12. "I can honestly say I cannot feel bad for you if one day down the road you get cancer from this crap."

    Haha a little harsh but I get your point :) I was hesitant to read because I am a diet soda junkie, no really. Its bad. But I swear this write up helped a lot. I will reallllly think about it more. In fact, I am going to make a commitment to start cutting back. Thank you for the information and being up front.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Great information!! I just read the page on Aspartame and it actually says that there has been no link found between it and cancer, or between artificial sweeteners and cancer!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Awesome post. I completely agree--the whole "diet" mania, is so sad. Just be healthy! No more splenda or diet this or low cal that for me!! :)

    ReplyDelete

If you visited and read my post, be kind, leave a line!

Blogger template designed By The Sunday Studio.